View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Boxing Day - Dec 26th

I imagine the malls were just nuts today, that’s if you could find a parking spot, all those bargain hunters looking to wear out their C.C.’s.

Today I was out on the ice at the crack of light; there were already two other groups on RR23 drilling holes and getting set up. Put the shed up, camera down had my W/W’s all tied up, all I had to do is clean out the hole & I’m set. I was still dark out; hard to see the bottom, let some line out closed the bail & bang, hello Mr. White. Got my 5 in an hour or so, after that it was C/R, had lots playing with me & missed a number of them, perhaps 14-15 fish before 11:00. See the pic of what hooks worked today.

The first hour was the best, after that more people started coming out and then it started to get a bit nuts out there. The Whites were moving around a lot but showed little interest, after trying a number of different presentations I pulled out a tiny dimpled brass Wetaskiwan and got a few to come over for a closer look, but they wouldn’t take it until I dropped the hook on the weeds and let it sit, then the White makes a U-turn & inhaled it. Got a few more using the same technique, they wouldn’t touch it unless it was lying down!

Fishin is like real estate, location-location-location, after talking to a few other guys around me they said they didn’t see many and only caught one White. Another fellow said he caught a small walleye; we were all in 5-8 FOW over weeds.

I decided to move to deeper water & away from the crowd, got set up in 15 FOW, seen some big Whites roaming around and a few decent Pike came for a visit, I didn’t have my Pike equipment so they lost interest & moved on, caught 3 small walleye and seen a few more moving around. A word of caution, I dragged my shack out to this location, there was flood water on the ice and that's only 9" of ice in the last pic with no white ice, I wouldn't recommend driving past these shacks.

On my way home I met fellow member Broomstick & his family, they were having a fun day and enjoying a Barbie, nice people!

A few pic's from today ..... enjoy!

Zip-Z