Thread: Beaver Feedbed
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 02:53 AM
Banned

The mystery is solved so I figured that I'd follow up.

Well, I guess that the water had dropped more than I thought and that's the reason why the beaver put the feedbed so far out from the lodge. I went out yesterday with a new Trapper and we put a 330 in an H frame in the one run that I knew about in behind the lodge. It was only big enough for one frame because of dirt on either side of it but there was no problem finding the run with the bubbles in the ice once we shoveled the snow off it. I wanted to put more traps in the front of the lodge but all that I was hitting was dirt with my 16" bar so that wasn't happening.

I decided to just go with the one trap at the hut and put a snare set with two dead poles either side of a green feed pole near the feedbed. Unfortunately, the ice near the feedbed was too thick for my 16" bar and I wasn't hitting any water. I decided to investigate the "muskrat hut" while we were out there and all of a sudden my entire leg busts through the ice.......it's a bloody breathing hole that the beavers made to rest up in from swimming so far out from the lodge! You might want to be aware of these because I could have easily been swimming if I was standing right on top of it.

In the end, despite not being able to put more H frames at the hut and no snare sets near the feedbed, I think that I might have myself a bit of a honeyhole with that breathing hole. I'll see......I left a present there for them.