View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 AM

Default AGM Call to Action

When talking about the snaring issue it was mentioned that Minister Philips had received 20 letters against snaring and she was going to have to address the issue. She and the gov't believe that every letter they receive represents 500 like-minded people. 500!! So for all us whiners on here just sending a letter we could run that total into the hundreds of thousands. It was stressed that on line petitions were worthless but a 3 or 4 line letter was priceless.

I will add my own experience in dealings with the gov't. Keep the letter to a single subject. A couple of lines supporting trapping and snaring. Perhaps point out what it would cost the GOA to take care of the 40 to 80,000 coyotes a year we manage for the province for free! Or mention that for every dog caught in a snare there are dozens ran over daily in Edmonton. A run over dog is the owner’s fault not the driver, a dog in the snare is not the law abiding trappers fault. Help these people think on the subject and see the world through our eyes.

If you have more than one subject send another letter. Send the letter to your MLA, the minister and the head of the opposition. Folks are shocked about the defense fund ask, (which we desperately need) but here is something we can do for free and in an unlimited way. We can let them know we will not go quietly into the night and that there is a cost for dealing with us. Also write your MLA and ask him/her their stance on trapping. Open a dialogue where you point out this is important consideration for you before voting.

There is so much more we can do than whine on here folks. If they don't know there are people who care about trapping why would they support us against the antis? Here is how we help our president and board help us.

OK this post is way to long for a letter, but you get my drift. How about we post up some letters we write here and any response we get? I'll get one up shortly and I'll get this same call to action up on some FB pages and social media. Rich