View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Dear Minister Philips,
I have heard you are a farm girl and understand the issues of both coyote predation and uncontrolled dogs. As a trapper in Alberta I wish to let you know that taking away our most useful tool, the snare, would greatly reduce trappers ability to control coyotes and wolves. Yes, snares are lethal, to both coyotes and dogs alike. But for every dog caught in a legally set trap or snare how many are run over every day in Edmonton? When a dog is run over it is the dog owners fault for not controlling the dog, not the driver of the car. When a dog ends up in my legally set snare in the middle of my quarter of land miles from its home it is also the fault of the dog owner for not controlling their animal. Minister we need some help in carrying that message to the public. The flurry of beaver attacks this spring in Edmonton are nothing compared to 40,000 extra coyotes on the landscape should trappers be stopped from harvesting the surplus. Trappers are the buffer between the animals and civilization. Many city dwellers today don’t understand this but without trappers doing this for free the government would incur millions of dollars in expenses to fill the roll.
Thank you for your attention to this.
Rich
Well said ..