View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast 1100 View Post
The problem is that alberta doesnt have enough lakes, i mean good sized lakes. i dont think C&R is good thing being that fish dont live very long, so there is no point to that unless it is a new fishery being started. you need a over under size limit to make it work properly. i would really like to see 5 any size a thing of the past, there is simply to much fishing pressure at some lakes to sustain a good fish population so everybody can have a chance at catching some nice sized fish, being a lake white or a rainbow trout. Take a picture its the catch you remember not the meal. personally most of the fish arent that great eating anyways, so i dont mind putting back the fish i catch. sea bass, grouper, red snapper, mahi mahi, those are good eating fish. LOL
Now there's an idea that I can sink my teeth into. Not that I agree with it entirely but it's nice to see someone thinking outside of the box. Cudos to you Outcast!

Indeed there are allot of anglers to bodies of water in Alberta and short of digging big holes to flood or damming rivers to flood areas there's not much to do in order to change that. I don't think that filling bodies of water with easier to catch bigger fish is the answer though. Perhaps a three fish limit is a good option. For fish eaters like me it would just mean that I'd have to go out fishing more often if I wanted a meal. For the "quality" fishery fellas it might make it easier for them to catch a bigger fish.

I think that you would need to cap the size of fish that you were allowed to keep (ie nothing over 20" for example) in order to keep everyone happy though. The fish huggers would still get their photo op and the fish eaters would still be able to catch a meal.

It all comes down to angler attitude and education IMO. Most fish eaters know that smaller "eatin'" sized fish taste better than big fish. That's why they're called "eatin'" sized. Who wants to eat a muddy tasting big trout when you can eat a nicer tasting smaller one? Or, a big old greasy 10 lb lake trout over a better tasting 3 lber? If someone doesn't know or understand that then they need to be taught it. The "bigger is better" attitudes also have to change. There's far too much emphasis on catching big fish IMO.