Thread: Sheep Hunting
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk4 View Post
You must of killed some monster sheep if you aren’t even bothering to double check legality with a scope.

Everybody in this province has an equal right to hunt sheep, that’s without a doubt. But if you aren’t fully prepared to hunt sheep responsibly than wait till you are ready. Carrying a spotting scope so you can accurately judge a ram is your responsibility, at least until you feel comfortable enough that I guess you decide you don’t need one? Not trying to insult anyone who hunts that way successfuly, I’ve just honestly never heard of that.

Hunting sheep is becoming more and more popular now a days so let’s try starting the new guys off in a position to succeed, where they aren’t going to be making mistakes do to advice like “it’s good enough for me! It’s good enough for you!”.

If you want to start hunting sheep than commit. Don’t half ass it. If you want to half ass it just stay home.
Never was much interested in barely legal squeekers where you had to squint down to the millimeter from 34 different angles for 2 hours to see if it's legal. Anyways I think guys shooting short sheep are shooting them because they don't know how to judge horns, spotting scope or not.

Telling someone to stay off the mountain because they don't commit to the very best equipment is like telling a new fly fisherman he may as well stay off the river unless he has a $1200 fly rod, $700 reel and $800 waders.

Of course having a spotting scope is an advantage, you might miss seeing a few sheep or stalk up to one a 10 hr hike away and find it isn't legal sure, but that happens to guys with spotting scopes who see a ram two days hike away and find its not legal when they get there. If you don't have one it is no reason to not hunt sheep. You still have a good chance to be successful, you learn things about sheep and gain experience as you go. Collect or improve gear over time when you can afford it. Go on shorter day hunts closer to roads if you haven't got all the gear, it's all good experience.

I doubt anybody is stupid enough to go on a week long hunt in sheep country with nothing but a banana and an handful of nuts in their pocket. Most hardcore sheep nuts also carry binos, knife, bottle of water and some poptarts if they're really going deep.