View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 09:24 AM

Default Mad trapper!

My favourite story!

I have not seen the movie, but I got quite interested in the story a couple of years ago, when i bought a very old (40 yrs?) second hand book with the story.
Then I started researching it a bit more and there are actually 3 or 4 different publications with the actual story out there - some are a little more bloodthirsty than others. There is also a childrens book version (more teenagers, actually), but with the typical comic type illustrations that were popular in the 50ties and 60ties.

There is also a very interesting fact "research" book about the mad trapper, with original pictures, police documents (they are all at the RCMP museum in regina now) and detailed maps where his cabin actually was, and all the geographical details where the story unfolded.

The most accepted theory now is that the trapper is actually a skandinavian heritage, which could be one of the reasons why he did not like talking (language?)

The police fotos of his corpse after they found him are interesting. His weapon was -by the way- a savage rifle , (30-30) if I am not mistaken.

I always thought that the story is so interesting and full of riddles that it would warrant further research !

If anyone is interested, I can send the titles/authors of my mad trapper books