View Single Post
Old 02-12-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

So which special privileges did I enjoy, because I worked in the oilsands industry? Which laws did I not have to observe, which property could I use that people outside of the industry couldn't? As for volunteering at the range, which special privileges do I enjoy? Which range rules do I not have to obey? I get to spend my own money for the fuel that I burn to travel to the range, and to meetings, and to go around for parts or supplies to maintain the range. I get to spend 100 hours or so of my own time, which saves the club thousands of dollars per year. The one benefit that I get, is a volunteer dinner, that if I added up my annual expanses, likely costs me close to $1000 per year in fuel and expenses. I volunteer, because ranges don't run themselves, without someone volunteering, there is no range, it's really that simple. There is a good reason that we never have to vote for an executive, that being that nobody else wants to volunteer to take over a position.
Well myself, being in the Energy Industry, have had more than enough perks which I did not have to pay for nor claim as taxable benefits.

My volunteering over many years has allowed me privilege's beyond the scope of volunteering as well. Like yourself, I spend countless hours and my personal monies but can admit again there are perks the average person or member does not receive.

I guess we see things a lot different... I know I'm not perfect, I am a realist though and can be honest about my experiences.