View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Guys,

Sorry the Govt mislead you. Calling a lake Quality is true only if it is. Just proposing a regulation change hardly means that it will happen.

So far, Beaver was a QLF and is no longer.
Ironside still is for the moment - that may be over this summer.
Muir maybe
Fiesta is not and will not become a QLF under present stocking numbers

Others not yet if ever.

Just call a lake a Quality Fishery means that the biologists do what is required to get it to the Quality status and keep it there. So far of the lakes proposed, the record isn't good.

Don
I like the comment, Don - calling a lake Quality is true only if it is...how true. Regulations will do nothing for an overstocked lake with limited food supplies.

To add to the current status of lakes.
Pit 24, 35, and 45 do hold some good trout and stocking rates are more along the lines of proper management. The thing is though, is these lakes are brand new to the public angling population. These lake are reclaimed mine pits and only last year were opened for angling. These types of regulations are what is going to be implemented for the next batch of new lakes opening up on coal valley - the fish guy in Edson told me so.

But these are new lakes, we're not getting any of our old haunts back that used to hold averages of 3 - 4 lbs.

It seems that the govt is scared of changing things but dont mind implementing these types of "quality" regs on new lakes...now the folks who like to eat the freshly stocked trout cant complain as these lakes have never been open to them in the first place. Now this tells us something....the govt realizes there is a demand and need for these lakes, otherwise why bother?

Also, Muskiki - not a quality lake. Reason?? Lack of enforcement... Reason?? Provincial Parks and Recreation. I would be surprised if anyone in the Edson district has even heard of Muskiki Lake. I fish there, have reported several guys coming off the lake with stringers of cutties. The F&W guys in Edson say they will pass it on to Tourism, Parks and Recreation. Never hear back.....

I digressssssss...........