View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Some people might say that is the way that it is now.

There are currently 28 stocked trout lakes in Alberta that are either "quality" fisheries or C&R, plus the 30 rivers/streams on the eastern slopes that are C&R, plus the new "quality" fishery mine pits that SRD are opening up. Is that not enough to satisfy the trophy anglers? If not, how much is enough...........everything?

If you live in Calgary and you want easy to catch big fish then what is the problem with going to Bullshead? Is it too far or what?

IMO if you add in the stocked lakes that currently hold bigger fish, like the ones that I fish in, there is ample opportunity for everyone to catch big fish.
As has been mentioned before, just because Fisheries slaps a "quality fishery" tag on a waterbody does not mean it is. As for your question yes, for me Bullshead is a little far to go for an afternoon of flyfishing. Might do it once or twice a season but that's about it. One of my favourite place to fish used to be North Raven River but it's a 3+ hr trip for me now so I don't go there very often either. Don't worry about me anyway, I have a lot of fun catching trophy sized trout in the Bow so it's not as burning an issue for me as it is for some guys here, but it would be nice to have more than 1 or 2 options to regularly fish a sizable population of trophy sized trout on stillwaters within 2hrs of Strathmore, Red Deer, etc.