View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Just because SRD has tagged a bunch of lakes "quality" lakes, doesn't mean they are. SRD's definition of quality has to be looked at first and foremost. Trout over what, 2 pounds is quality? Not in my books. My definition of quality is 5lbs and up. So a quality lake to me would a good chance at a 5 pounder on any given day with the odd chance of hooking into a 10+ pounder. These lakes are available in BC, Sask and Manitoba so why not here (and the lakes in the parkland region of Manitoba are NOT pay to play BTW). I'm glad that SRD has taken the first step of introducing quality lakes to our province but they need to grow a pair and convert a few of the lakes that get stocked with 40,000+ dinks every spring around major centers to also include the quality regulations. For those that ask why. The same reason you want your put and take lakes, because that's what we are asking for. When Don and the boys started Beaver and then when we did Muir, people got a taste of what could be. Then Bullshead, Police and well now you see the list. Why so many? Because SRD put up a poll and that's what Alberta's anglers wanted to see. Ain't nothing wrong with the Chickakoo's of Alberta but when you see how much pressure is on Muir compared to it, well there's a reason why Muir looks like a bowl of cheerios and Chickakoo sees very little pressure. The problem as I see it now is not enough quality fisheries around major centers, SRD's definition of quality just plain sucks and to have a quality fishery, they actually have to manage it as a quality fishery and not just put some special regs on it and stock the hell out it. They need to actually do some work on them and study the fisheries to see how they can improve them to be optimum fisheries from year to year. How many quality lakes should we have in Alberta? I'd like around 30% but it doesn't really matter until they start managing them properly. Until then, it's all just eye candy.

Here's a video of the Muir Lake Project for those that are interested.
The Muir Lake Project