Thread: Marlin 444
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2022, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
All is not lost. You're not the first one to run into this issue with the FTX bullets. There are lots of threads about this very thing across multiple forums.

Apparently, Hornady dies would make your life easier, as they are designed to crimp both the standard 2.225" and the shorter 2.065" Leverevolution cases.

Options for other brand dies are to shorten the seating die on a lathe or milling machine so it will crimp the shorter cases. I saw comments of 0.100", but would want to verify that.

You can trim some of the new Starline brass to Leverevolution specs, or simply buy more Hornady Leverevolution ammo and farm the brass. Save the Starline brass for other fodder.

Like a lot of hobbies, you can make most things work if you throw more money at it.
I think I will do just that. I'll get more factory hornady ammo. And that shorter brass will go with my ftx bullets. And get different bullets for the new starling brass, keeping it at full length.

And get a hornady crimping die at the correct shorter length, or modify a new die like you said. That way I can load both.

Yes I think spending more money is the path of least resistance. [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk