View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So what I have on the go now is this. 1 gallon of water, 2 tsp of cure #1.

Is this safe to eat?

Ingredients
1 Pork loin about 4 lbs
12 cup Cold water divided
1 cup Maple syrup
½ cup Pickling salt
2 tablespoon Mustard seeds
2 teaspoon Black peppercorns
2 teaspoon Prague powder #1 cure
4 Garlic cloves pressed
3 Whole cloves
2 Bay leaves
1 Lemon sliced into wedges
Get Ingredients
Powered by

Chicory logo

Instructions
Cut pork loin into 2 approximately equal sized chunks (crosswise, NOT lengthwise!).
Trim most of the visible fat, if you’d like. Some people don’t bother, but I don’t like the extra fat on mine.
Wrap and chill until ready to use.
Measure 4 cups of water into a large pot, add remaining ingredients, aside from pork and rest of water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add remaining water, stir to combine.
Allow to cool to room temperature.
Place one chunk of pork loin in each of 2 gallon sized freezer bags.
I like to manually divide the lemon wedges and bay leaves equally between the two bags before pouring
half of the brine into each bag.
Push out most of the air, seal the bags, and put them in the fridge – I put both bags into a 9 x 12 cake pan, just in case of leakage, etc.
Allow the pork to brine for 5 whole days, turning once daily to ensure the pork loins are completely submerged.
After 5 days, discard brine, and rinse pork loins with cold water. Use paper towels to pat dry.
Hot smoke with your choice of wood chips until it reaches an internal temperature of 145-150 F. (62.5 - 65.5 C)
That's the same as the recipe I posted. It's a lot easier to put your pork into a smaller rubber maid container with all the brine and shove it all into the spare fridge. I hold down the meat to keep it submerged with a couple small plates.

You should try eating it after brining without smoking it.