View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=raised by wolves;193192]I spoke with a few Mayerthorpe locals RE: the feral hogs. Most were rather tight lipped on the subject. A few seemed to think they should be able to profit from allowing the hunters to access their land, despite the complaints of the destructive nature of the pigs.

Aside from the hype and gossip on the mass number of pigs in this area, I have only met one other hunter that has actually seen feral hogs and harvested one animal from the Mayerthorpe area.

I have a few friends in the Wabamun and Entwistle area, all of whom complain about all the wild pigs in the area. Not one of them has actually seen a pig that was not pink and secured within a enclosure of some kind.

I am starting to wonder if the population is quite as high as the gossip suggests.[/QUOTE

That is bang on raisedbywolves. I live in the Mayerthorpe/Whitecourt area & I've run into pigs on a couple of occasions. I know several farmers who have shot more than one pig over the years, but they are out in the fields working for many days in any given year. It is very difficult to hunt them, and sightings are random & rare. I am a bowhunting nut & would love to shoot a pig with my bow, but I don't think this area is as good as all the talk seems to indicate.