View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
There is likely some truth to this statement but I think that people who ask these type of questions should be encouraged to do so because at least they are showing some effort to learn. Fortunately, most of the regulars take time to help people out instead of ridiculing them for their lack of knowledge.

Chet
Chet: I sense that perhaps you missed the jist of my tone.
An honest to godness noobie question is one thing, but when you know for a fact that a feller is just throwing out a question which is located in the first 5 pages of the hunting regs, and you know said fellow has hunted for numerous years and still the inane questions abound, I begin to question either their validity of said question, or perhaps his fondness for hunting.
The fact still remains that we here who are regulars, and actually strive to stay abreast of the things hunting oriented are in a minority. Most of the people who buy a hunting licence are not that dedicated nor that interested actually, most of them do it because it's the thing to do at the time.
This is the problem with the hunting communtiy just look at the AFGA membership, roughly 30,000 members, yet nearly 200,000 wildlife certificates are sold annually in Alberta. That's a wopping 15% of all licenced hunters. Ok so maybe 10% are Aliens, and another 15% are doubled up housholds, that's still should leave 75% of all hunters to join something. Even if another 20% have some issue with the AFGA that should still leave a bit over 100,000 members for the AFGA.
Like I said some people are just a bit lacking in the I wonder how department, and even more belong to the spoon feed me sector.
The internet was some 25 years in the future when I started out in this tossed up never come down game of hunting shooting and reloading. And I was the only person I knew who reloaded. Guess how I learnt stuff? First I read.
Then I listened to the willy ol masters when they could be found at a gun show or gun shop, or range. And thirdly I dabbled tweeked, and often gained another Degree from the School of Hard Knocks. Lastly and only if all my resources were exausted did I actuially seek the advice of someone else, that's if I could find some one.
Guess what I gained? Much knowledge in things hunting and shooting oriented, and I actually retained the concepts, theories, and procedures.
As an old willy welder I knew once said "this microwave generation is something to behold, the expect everything instantly, and don't expect to lift a finger to get it"
I think he summed up my perspective on noobie questions pretty good.

There are no absolutes