View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 09:24 PM

Got a few P/M’s asking a number of good questions. For those who are thinking about getting into making your own w/w’s, I found that Michael's the craft supply store carry a wide assortment of wire and beads, at reasonable prices. You may also want to check out stores that have a dedicated fly fishing section, they have a variety of supplies, materials and high end hooks that can be used in making w/w, even different colors of paint.

I bought a fly tying vice, but don’t use it, found a long pair of locking forceps works better, as per photo, these are all the tools you need. When you make your own you can experiment and modify your w/w’s to improve your success, either by using different colored beads or smaller hooks add some hair or feathers, it’s limitless.

At times smaller presentations seem to improve your success, I’ve had a number of Whites try to inhale a small barrel swivel that I use between my 10 lb braid and 6 lb floro, I’ve made a few miniature black w/w that work on those slow days.

This past week on Gull, the Whites sure liked the Brass/White or Brass/Yellow then on another day they ignored them and the Brass/Red was the most popular. Modified my presentations and added a second bead to the hook end, that should make a difference on the weekend.

Fishing tip …

Drop a small amount of crushed egg shells down your hole when fishing it helps identify the bottom in murky conditions or deeper water, it’s something a fellow mentioned that he did when we were fishin together on RR23 the other day, it works!

Don’t be afraid to tip a w/w with a maggot or two, I noticed a few Whites would swim up to the w/w and start to blow kisses at it then turn away. After adding the maggot they were more interested and took a swipe at the w/w, I believe it helped.

Would be interested to see some of your most popular w/w … post a pic.

Cheers

Z-z

Tools of the Trade.

Supplies - Beads from Michael's - Hooks from Bass Pro Fly Dept.

Super Hot Combo

Egg Shells Down the Hole.