View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
In these hard times in the west there are literally 100's of thousands of people out of work and not because they want to be either, many have run out of EI benefits and are struggling to feed their families and pay their bills.

If some of them are working for the co-op refinery during this lock out good for them, it's very hard for me to think of them as scabs but rather as desperate people doing what they have to in order to survive.

And lastly they are locked out and not on strike, there is a huge difference, however they did unanimously vote to go on strike and had served strike notice when the company decided to lock them out.

I do not know the details or the reason they voted to strike, but can assume it is money, pension contributions etc. it's a tough economy out there maybe they could have chosen their timing better, don't know.

I do know that lots of people I have talked to have little sympathy for workers that have good jobs and are making a good living to be going on strike for more during these tough times.
What I read was the management was moving to a defined contribution and cancel the defined benefit plan. This is the way things are moving as defined benefit plans are a thing of the past. Hard to feel sorry for people with good jobs in the current economy. Live within your means, find some financial advice and you will be fine.