View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
I am not sure where you are pulling your data from? In order for the bullet I was using to go transonic (1126 fps at 20*C...) at 265m (290 yards) my muzzle velocity would have had to been about 1636fps, OR, the ambient temperature would have had have been well above 200*C. Neither one of these is true...
The other thing to remember, it that this is not a 17HMR bullet shaped like a missile. Its a 255 grain bullet shaped like a bus. I am not going to get into the physics that tell us why these things happen, but I will say just because a bullet goes transonic does not mean that it loses its accuracy...depending on the bullet, of course.
Also, there have been plenty of fellers before me, that have shot this round far more accurately, at far greater distances.

R.
Your right! I fat fingered the muzzle velocity. That is a really sweet loading its almost like you designed it to work perfectly at 500 yards as it would be going transonic at the target. If there is a longer challenge would you heat that round some more to get the same result?

Actually, if you don't mind, can you please get into the physics of why a "17HMR bullet shaped like a missile" would lose more accuracy then a hurtling school bus?

As per the plenty of fellers that shoot that round further and more accurately, you are selling yourself short as this is amazing shooting!