View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsman View Post
That's brutal! Not just getting attacked by a bear, but getting dragged out of the outhouse. Plus side for the poor guy, at least he didn't have anything to deposit in his pants.

On a side note - when I was doing bear training in Yukon they taught us that if you were attacked by an aggressive black bear and found yourself on the ground the best position to survive the attack was on your stomach with your fingers interlocked, covering the back of your neck. The reason being the blackie can't open their jaw wide enough to fit an adult skull in their mouth. Your hands would "protect" your neck and having your elbows out to the side would make it harder for the bear to roll you over. While you'll still be mauled, you may survive. They followed that tidbit up with "If the bear starts feeding, fight!"
Must have been either Neil or Wade that taught that course...LOL However, bears can and do have the ability to get their mouth around a human skull. Patti McConnell and Ray Kitchen both had the backs of their head chewed off when a black bear attacked them in Liard Springs in 97. Kitchen's death was the directly attributed to the bear crushing his skull while he was lying face down trying to keep his head covered.