View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
If you get the right powder charge behind the 130gr TSX it might be possible to see the 3900 and beyond ft-per seconds.

Super flat and fast.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...omment-page-1/

Good on you for pushing the limits, a little bit of tweeking to get them going.
Skies the limit for those that choose to push the envelope.

Don

PS: It would be crazy to see the 4300 ft-per second thing as its really clipping along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
I am used to a 7mm rem mag, until some scum sucking.....stole it. So...looking into a new rifle. Specifically a Christensen Classic with a Nightforce scope. I still have a box of reloaded 7mm, 139g Barnes TTSX, with 65gms of IMR4350. I get the bullet on bullet @ 300 yards and a 6" group @ 800. I have turned very lazy in my old age so long distance hunting is now my thing. Derr, bear Elk @ 700 to 1000 yards is good.

So one of my options is to shoot a 300 Remington Ultra Mag with a 130g Barnes @ 3900 fps. or stay with the same. There are a lot of pro's and Con's to both....

what do you guys think?
I had one for awhile. Terrible recoil for what is gained on a 300 win. Hard on powder, hard on shoulder (no brake i hate em) hard on barrels and hard to find brass. I traded mine. Shouldn't have ever bought it to be honest, was gonna do 1000 yrd shooting but better options available than it and never got around to doing it ( I was young and dumb lol)

I was at the time running 102 grs h1000 at around 3500 fps if I remember correctly. Hit animals hard a long way out but honestly I have killed at same distance with half the powder half the recoil in other calibers and just as dead. Accuracy and practice beat hp and recoil all day long.

These days I'm stuck on my 270wsm but if I stray again to further than 700yrds I will go back to 7mm rem mag. Best bang for buck in my eyes. High BC easy to find brass and powder and bullets manageable recoil and will put anything in North America on the ground.

I cant see the gain in the ultra that makes it better anymore now that I am older and smarter (depends on who u ask lol). If u wanna go big then step up to a 338 lapua and never look back. Otherwise I would pound away with the 7 rem

JMO