View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
I would go 308. Main reasoning is it seems to be a fair bit more versatile when it comes to ammo selection. Going with the lighter grain bullets you will get comparible long range performance to the 270. However, you have more options with that 30 cal slug to put some heavier grained ammo down the pipe. This makes it much more desirable if you were to hunt Elk or moose. A 270 win will do anything you want it too including kill an elk or moose, its just not as ideal for the larger critters.

As for some of the other cartridges mentioned, ie) 6.5 creedmore or the 7-08. Although they are great calibres and effective rounds, they have their drawbacks. The main drawback is the ammo price and availability. There are not very many places outside of the major hunting stores that carry that ammo and you often times pay a premium. Any walmart or can tire will likely carry 270 and 308 ammo all the time. I shoot a 270 WSM and it can be a buggar sometimes to find the ammo I want. That is why I stocked up the last time I found the Accubonds. At $65/box I had some explaining to do that night. I love my 270 WSM but I pay for it every time I pull the trigger. Most of my practice happens with the wifes 243 up against my shoulder. I like the price of that ammo a lot better.
I am a pretty cheap guy, but access to ammo should not be a problem as I live in Cowtown.... but I should look into that before making a decision.