View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscott View Post
Only component I have seen them use that I rate better than average is the Am Tac reel seats they use. Cork can be decent on a custom one but its all flash in my opinion. I have an opinion of the blanks as well, but I dont want to hurt peoples feelings. When you pay good money for a rod I would expect more from it. I would rather build from a dedicated blank maker. Dancraft used to be good till customer service fell off, Batson has some good rods. I would take those over Pieroway anyday.

I havent really tried any Pieroways rods for more than a few hours. I base what I am saying based on my limited experience with their product. I have even less experience with the boys running the company. After the first time I spoke with them, I decided it would more than likely be my last.

In my opinion their product is a jazzed up 20 $ china blank with low end components.
Even the reel seat is cheap, albeit its an upgraded reel seat.
The AW12 reel seat from American Tackle sells for 19.00 as a skeleton reel seat.
Say you buy 1000, which I am sure Pieroway has. This reelseat is on every rod they make it seems. Wholesale price is probably half or less than what the standard consumer can buy it for, and buying in that quantity will drive the price lower also.
Lets say their cost is 10$(I am guessing its muchlower) for the skeleton reel seat, a acrylic pen blank can be had for less than 1.50 when bought en masse. It does take a bit to turn down the blank, but they can be done in a few minutes with the right operator.

I will say that they do put some time into their custom cork. But once you have the jigs and presses, the process can be done without too much time invested. Looks nice... Yes, but like I said earlier, all flash.

Good on these local guys for starting a rod company. But these rods are locally assembled, not built.

For the money they charge, I would expect a better product. Having built a few rods myself, I can see where their rods fall short.

Rant over
Couldn't agree more