View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Your point is valid but we all need to take control of our lives. Putting ourselves in intentional jeapardy does not make sense. Would I strap a vest of $100 bills to me and walk down a street in Mexico? Not on your life. There is smart, there is street smart and there is just plain dumb and asking for trouble. If having guns solved problems...ghettos in the US would be the safest places on Earth.

There is the term escalation. If the person who was going to rob you in the park assumes you have a gun...one of two things will obviously happen. They will leave you alone or just shoot you...then rob you. Rio de Janeiro was famous for kill first...rob later. Just because there is a gun present does not stop a murder etc. I still want to see how many murders in the US are drug related/gang related. It may drop the stats down low enough to make it a non issue in the US...still my point is the drug dealers gangs all have guns...so the Modus operandi is to shoot first...discuss last.
You assume that all people assaulted put themselves in some kind of self imposed danger. What if they have no car, and a job that ends late and live Ina bad part of town (perhaps cause she spent all her $$ on fishing gear )? Is her life not as deserving of protection than someone who can simply drive through that neighborhood to a better job from a better home?

How about the lady who works 10 hour days, has two young kids and a husband that travels a lot? Will she get charged for defending her home with a firearm like Ian Thompson did?

Sure there is the my gun is bigger than yours people out there. There is also the tacticool *******es out there as well. But for each one of those you'll find eve more just honest citizens who carry. The stats for the amount of firearms In the US versus the actual amount of incidents does not support your line of thought.

Also, in regards to escalation, as of now the bad guys already have the weapons. And all the PALs, ATTs and other bureaucratic restrictions don't stop it. All people like me suggest is that we should be able to put the honest citizenry on equal footing.

Sure Rio may be bad, but there is other factors at play there.

Last edited by bigbadjoe108; 01-30-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelling. Autocorrect be damned!!!