View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 11:42 PM

I've got a bit of powder that is 15-25 yrs old, dumped some 4831 into the scoop cup, got about 5 rds chg'd and noticed red dust in the clear glass cup, looked at the powder again and decided not to use it. Went thru the rest of the powder and found another pound, 4895, that was the same, red dust. Chucked those two.
I had a pound out of a hot batch of 4320 that was recalled, it got my attention on a load that was 10% under max. Had to knock the bolt open. Glad I was just starting on that load and running the string of ladder charges.
Most of my reloading booboo's are crushed cases in seating a bullet, forget to crank the die up and the seater down to start with. I've bent a couple of decap rods when the pin missed the whple also.
I also have some 30-06 cases I did for my BIL that were full length sized and seated short that would not let him close the bolt without a struggle. Could've been max die and min chamber, never got to check it out as he sold the gun.
Had hangfires a few times,bad primers, split cases and necks, and no powder once.