View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 12:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstwguy View Post
When the carcass is worth more than the fur, you carry it home. I think that should make sense to you. Not sure why so many things don't make sense to you..are you getting old and grumpy?..lol
LOL Not grumpy, just out of touch and wondering about the new way of doing things.

Keep in mind that when I was trapping full time, it was on a isolated line far from civilization. Everything went in and came out via skidoo.
Cell phones, the internet were in the process of being invented and the killer traps of today were just being developed.

It was a different world and we did many things differently. Most of those old ways are no longer applicable, but some might save someone some time or effort.

Let me give you an example if I may. I see you know how to figure out where the center of the run is, do you know how to use a curved pole to determine the direction of travel in a run?

Have you ever seen a running pole set for Marten? Do you know how to catch a Lynx with a snare and a scent stick? Can you catch and hold a Wolverine with a 220 coni? Could you make a hoop stretcher for beaver if you were too far from town to drive in and buy a sheet of plywood?

I may seem out of touch and in many ways I am, but I still have something to offer to those who are willing to learn.

Besides, I just like to tell about my trapping experiences.

Did I ever tell you about the Sabre Toothed Beaver I caught?

George Bernard Shaw