View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 11:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Keg after watching that video again for probably the 20th time I see he does work it towards the middle, just like you said. Thanks for pointing that out, it may be part of my problem.
I wouldn't call it a problem, but I do believe you will find that it has advantages.

I do know that the middle of the hide is tougher and the weight of the flesh already cut free can help a lot.

Plus, it's easier to hold on to a clean fleshed hide then an unfleshed edge. And you can bunch up the fleshed hide in your hand to draw the work area closer to you hand for better control. It doesn't wrok very well with an unfleshed edge.

A question. Do you guys snap your hides when you are done fleshing.
By snapping I mean, like you were trying to sting someone with a wet towel.

We do it vertical instead of horizontal as you would with a towel. It helps to realign the outer fur for a better looking pelt and it can dislodge dirt from the hide and make the hide feel smoother.

It's a simple thing that doesn't do a lot but it can add a couple of dollars value to a pelt and it costs nothing in time or effort.

I simply grab the fleshed hide at the head and whip it in a vertical S curve to snap it like a whip. It doesn't really snap, just makes a sorta slapping sound. that's all it takes.

George Bernard Shaw