View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 07:06 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
In my experience, and I've shot hundreds of coyotes, go with a 243 shooting a 100 grain deer bullet.
I've used the 204 and have had way too many runners. I've hit em good too, right in the boiler room and they have a tendency to run off, more than I like.
The 22-250 is fine but it makes a mess of em, even you hit em right. Too fast.

243, shooting a 100 grain sako gamehead, I've had my best yr on pelts. I should've taken pics to show. But man, this year was my easiest year on pelts using that bullet. And no big bleed out either. Just a nice little hole in and out. And it lays em down. They don't move, they don't run, they just die.
I like my Ruger Hawkeye .204 with Zeiss HD 5, 3x15x42 Rapid Z-600 glass on top. I have used it on a lot of coyotes for some 10 years now, using Superformance 32 gr. V-Max with good success. If memory serves me, I can only recall 3 runners, all angle shots, with splash marks on their shoulders. I followed them and was able to recover them. I have also taken 2 wolves with it, gutshot them intentionally to prevent a runner. Dropped like a rock, at 130 yds +/-. Distance, wind, & shot placement mean everything!!!

Last edited by Opa; 03-14-2017 at 07:11 AM.