View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 12:36 PM

Default Black powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Hope you got your moose..... For next season practise shooting at different distances and/or head to a local BP shot they are good humour. Most BP shooters are really helpful with all things BP. Other thing I did was make a small possibles bag that hangs on a waste belt rather than a purse over shoulder type. Find the former style much easier to hike with. To clean my Lyman Great Plains in 50 cal I use hot water and dish soap. Disassemble leave the nipple in stand up in a small bucket (windshield washer jug with top cut off) nipple down. With cotton patches over your cleaning jag draw the soap solution up through the barrel using a pumping action. Change cotton often, then take out nipple and continue. Once you're happy how clean it is rinse with boiling hot water by pouring it down the barrel. Dry the inside right away with more cotton patches over the cleaning jag and run a few patches with good quality synthetic oil. Re-assemble. Give external a good coat of synthetic oil. I also use a quality anti-seize paste like copper coat on the nipple threads. I use a 15 thousandths thickness patch. Head to your local sewing supply store with your micrometer and buy a few different thicknesses, get 100% cotton only. To make patches I just cut strips then squares, so my patches are square not round.... Way more accurate then round ones, least that's what I tell all my BP friends...

Happy shooting, keep your powder and caps dry....

jrc
For moose,I wouldnt use,a round ball,I would go with a heavy hunting bullet--The REAL bullet[rifle engraved at time of loading}works fine.Of course we are talking about a regular muzzle loader,not online.with iron sites.A 8 inch gong at 100m works good for practice,and shot at from different positions--standing kneeling etc.Of course you have to realize the limitation,of the gun,and get close enough for one killing shot.Watch the loud click,when cocking the hammer,if you are useing a Hawken--Those big old moose got big old ears----