View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
I shot this Monday morning, (Saskatchewan) I was born and raised in west central Alberta and moved to sask a few years ago to be closer to my fiance's family.
This is my first rifle Mule deer and my first Saskatchewan buck.

Rough score:
Gross 188 7/8
Net 185 4/8

I got drawn in a zone I had never been to and I only had a couple of days to hunt. I wanted to take a prairie buck, as I has i have taken a few 170s archery bucks in more farm land.

I went down in August and archery season to get permission but I wasn't allowed to enter the pasture until Nov 1 and the cattle was off.

Long story short, my dad came down with me and we hiked back into a big pfra pasture. We got a couple miles away from the roads and started to see does. I said to my dad, "with this many does around there has to be a buck somewhere" as we came around the next hill and this buck was bedded along the creek bed. I crawled to the top of the hill and ranged him 380 - too far for me. We did a big stock and got to 200 yards of where he should be. Shortly after he walked up out of the creek bed and I hammered him.

We had to cross the creek a couple times and pack him out, so it was a great time with my father and to top it off I shot him with my grandfathers rifle. This was the first morning of my hunt and it was the first buck I had seen. I didn't really know what I had until I got home and put a tape on him

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Nice. I'm pretty sure I shot his twin this fall (except a province away). Identical deer except a bit of junk around his brows and another three inches on the tape because of it