View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Hmm...some interesting comments and differing points of view. I'll throw my perspective in as well. I'm a C&R fisherman but have no problem with folks catching and keeping a few for the pan. If I was lucky enough to snag a few 10" plus perch on the fly I might consider a few for a meal.
In my younger days there were numerous family fishing trips when we caught and kept most everything and prevalent attitudes back then were that there would always be lots of fish left, which clearly wasn't the case when considering many collapsed walleye lakes. I've had my share of walleye and perch over the years and no longer feel the need to keep any. I've also eaten pothole trout in the past and did not enjoy it.
In the Edmonton area we're lucky enough to have one little lake that has some restrictions on it where you can get out, enjoy the fresh air and potentially catch a 26" rainbow. One the other hand there are a number of other trout lakes that are put and take. One that is no longer being stocked as it is been basically destroyed as a trout fishery by the illegal introduction of perch and pike. This is a different issue and has been discussed in many other threads. I'm perfectly fine with current regs on lakes that generally suffer from winter kill, though it would be awesome to have an aerator on Chickakoo. Again, topic for another thread. If we had maybe one more trout lake, Star for example that had some size and limit restrictions it may provide folks with an alternative to catching smaller fish.
Just my two cents.
stan