View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Don't mean to sound disrespectful but this is what I never understand. I have travelled and hiked BC backcountry from the west coast to the Kootenays, the Yukon boarder to Washington State. BC has more black bears, grizzlies and wolves than anywhere in North America outside Alaska. Also, a ton of cougar and other predators. I have never carried a gun, not even while out hiking the Stikine Plateau. Never seen a grizzly, nor a cougar. They don't like you as much as you don't like them. Certainly no need to worry about grizzlies in the middle of winter.

If you read the statistics Albertans die in droves in BC avalanches, but never have I heard of a predator killing someone while out show shoeing or skiing.
As the previous poster spelled out you are probably more likely to die "protecting" yourself with a firearm. I advocate using your head. If your family is at risk don't go. Don't go out in the wilderness to drink coco and then a need to defend them. The facts just doesn't support the rationale.