View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
most wood bacements are treated wood that usualy means very unfriendly cemmicals which give off fumes that get you after years of exposure.most wood basements are band from putting sleeping quarters in them. so I wood stay away from them.
Sorry I do not know where you get your info from but I would not go back to it , nothing could be further from the truth.

Wood basements are fine, I have done plenty in my life. Only one thing though there is special care that needs to be done during construction. Not many framers do wood foundations and they might miss a step or two that could be problematic. I would suggest a full inspection and report with moisture content of the foundation wall cavity in many locations before I would buy. If the report comes back good Bobs your uncle, if the report shows any moisture I would stay away. This being said I would do the same test on a concrete foundation as well. many people end up with leaky basements as there is no attention given to the foundation if it is concrete. I just did a large wood foundation on a 6plex and the engineer has given it a garantee for 100 years.
The owner saved a few bucks with the wood but not worth the money saved in my opinion, but it was his choice and more contract for me. with the basement floor being 2 suites he did not want a pony wall all the way around, this is why he went with the wood. This being said I would buy a house that has a wood foundation after a clean inspection report, remember there are many companies that do concrete foundation repair as well, they leak too. There are no termites in Alberta and no other wood damaging insect will touch a treated wood, so disregard any concerns on this front. Good luck.