Thread: Carbondale
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Deep nymphing for suckers One of my earlier fly fishing experiences a few years back was on this stretch, and I caught a decent sized sucker on a bh prince. I was so new to fly fishing that I was still thrilled by this catch. It really was a beautiful fish, in spite of their reputation. These days I would be hard-pressed to fish anything subsurface there unless chasing bullies, as I have developed some slight dry-fly snobishness.

While I haven't been out there this year myself, I am drawing parallels from waters near it. Hoppers are tailing off quickly, as we've had some cold nights down here; may still be some lingering imprinting (Hank Patterson would argue that so for sure!). I've had more success with ants late this year than hoppers, but maybe that's just me. I was a bit surprised at the diversity of bugs in the air yesterday on the southern piece of water I was on. Primarily multiple species of mayflies & midges, but others as well. Bottom line, I don't think you are too far off at all. Not sure you will read this in time, but have a great trip. Now back to paper pushing at work <envious>.