View Single Post
Old 10-29-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
The thing is I own two of them. One youth model, and one semi custom. They both shoot great and we’ve used them a fair amount. I carry a bit bigger rifle for myself, but two young kids and my wife like them.
Most of the elk I’ve shot have been with a bow and arrow. In the last few years, I’ve shot a handful of them with a rifle, but usually in November, and never more than 50 yards.
I have no doubt that the rifle/cartridge is capable of the job. Certainly, with the small elk that we tend to get. I just have those two choices of bullets at home and wondering if anyone saw an advantage to either.
I use the same 80gr ttsx bullets in my 243 as a November deer/coyote rifle, when I’m not hunting anything else. Exceptional performance to date.

Here’s the thing: will the elk die, yes. But how far will it go, how much blood will be left to follow (especially after the herd runs over it), will you be able to find it, and will it cross into places you can’t go…?

This is one of those situational things. Snow on the ground, close shots (200 or less), proficient marksman, no boundary issues - it could work. But change any one of those and you’re in for a bad day.

If you are side by side with your family member and are willing to call them off, do as you see fit. But I wouldn’t turn a newbie loose with a 243 on an elk hunt..