View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Put out a dozen snares yesterday. My first attempt at snaring coyotes. 8 of which were on fence lines on existing trails. Today when I checked I had two misses and one live coyote. The snare was around the rib cage. I dispatched her right away and then kneeled there and tried to think of what I could have done differently to prevent it. The snare was on the bottom wire of a barbed wire fence, so not more than 16" between wire and ground. I would say the bottom of the snare would have been four to six inches from the ground and the top was inline with the fence line. Perhaps the loop should have been smaller? It was quite a cluster as the yote was snared at a three way intersection of fence line.
Very happy to have had success though and she is a nice looking coyote. The second dozen snares has already been ordered.
Any comments on the snare pics appreciated.
My understanding is when dogs go under a fence they lead with their feet not their nose...likely how the snare ended up at the rib cage. It crawled under and had both feet in the snare as it wiggled under the fence....then the nose...then it wiggled part way before the snare slid closed.

I caught one the EXACT same way 1 day ago....

LC