Thread: Sharp tail
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Does anyone know why sharp tail season closes earlier than spruce and rough grouse?
Not that it matters... it’s the season. But just wondering. See some big ol birds but they are safe from me till next fall
I think that sharp tails are in a very fragile situation because their habitat is shrinking. Where you find them their numbers are good but they are very sensitive to over hunting. I have read that if too many birds are removed from a flock or area the remaining birds that rely of numbers to survive the winter are at a disadvantage.

Where I hunt them the numbers are good and I could limit every time out but I usually only take 2 or 3 and I only do that a couple time during the season.

A couple of land owners that give me access, tell me that when a group of 4 hunters report that they all got their limit, those guys will never get permission again.

When I tell a landowner that we saw lots of birds and had a good time but only took two each, I get told "glad you had a good time and come back anytime."

I think that a month is time enough to hunt this great bird.