View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I asked a trapper a few years back in one area I hunt lots and he said he had a partner and wouldn't take just anyone on that he doesn't know anyways because how do you know their ethics or if hes trustworthy. I'm sure this goes with most trappers. Are you gunna sign up just joe blow because he asks to trap wolves?

As for hunters getting out. Some do. I do a fair bit. Have only baited a couple years. Got a couple but most at my sites were nocturnal. Pretty tough hunting them then. Mostly I call. Again with a few harvests but still fairly minimal success. You see far more than you ever get a poke at.

One big limiting factors with sheep country and why sheep hunters in particular wish trappers did more is because hunters have no access. Two feet of snow and -20 it's pretty tough backpacking or bringing horses in but trappers have full run on sleds or Atvs
I agree with you on that aspect Sheepguide...wolves are amongst the toughest animals to purposefully go out and make an effort to harvest by hunting. So what makes you think it is any different while trying to do it by trapping methods? Over the past few years, I have harvested apprxly. 20 by hunting and apprxly. another 30 by snaring...and in doing so, have realized they are one smart animal that learns quickly that he is being pursued...and will react and evade accordingly. But it can be done...so my reccomendation is go out and do it...be part of the solution yourself.
My wise old Dad used to say...if you sit on the sidelines and do nothing but complain...you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
And also, I don't follow the "hunters have no access" part? Hunters don't own snowmobiles???? I'm not picking on you...just don't understand this reasoning. Get or borrow yourself a sled, go out there and get you some wolves...seems simple enough to me.
And you mentioned talking to one trapper???? That area holds only one senior trapper??? Did you attempt to talk to others??? If you feel so strongly about the matter, it seems you would have talked to every trapper and seeked out all possibilities. If they are not receptive, clearly explain what you are trying to accomplish and promise to meet up after the season to review your success. The signing up of a junior is renewed every year so if they don't like you, they are not obliged to re-sign you...present that to them also.
As I explained on my first post on this thread, wolves are a hard animal to harvest and most trappers will spend more time and effort with smaller animals such as marten and fisher...not much difference in money earned for much less effort. Much easier to haul out 10 marten, skin, flesh and board them...than do the same with 10 wolves. That said, some of us still do it. I encourage you to try to do the same. If you feel so strongly about the wolf issue, you will find a way...