View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth_ View Post
something that helped me with target panic with a wrist release was pulling through the shot similar to how you would with a back tension release. Rather than pulling the trigger with your finger, I found it helpful to sort of pull against the back wall and allow your finger to pull through the trigger during that motion
This is great advice and absolutely correct on how a release is supposed to be used. The trigger finger should not be moved. Finger should be placed on the lever and pulled through using tour back muscles to fire. Dropping poundage certainly wouldn’t hurt either.

OP, someone stated starting with a blank bale or butt. Absolutely. I’d even pull off the sight. Focus on your method. Draw, anchor, release(using the above method). Once you feel that come along, leave your sight off and give yourself a big circle on your bale. Just look at the centre of that and go through your shot process. Do it all at close range. Burn a hole through the centre of that circle but don’t aim. You’re just working on muscle memory and building a properly delivered shot sequence. Then throw your sight back on. Stay close and stay with a big circle. Big enough that your pin cannot leave it. Again, don’t aim; focus on the centre of your circle and work through your shots. Once you’re good with that start letting your pin float around the centre. Don’t worry if you can’t hold it dead on where you’re looking. It’s impossible to hold it dead one but keep looking at the centre and let your pin float. Execute shots with the same method you’ve developed without the pin or aiming. If everything is coming together at this point then start slowly moving back, continuing with proper execution. Do this until you can start shrinking the size of your circle. Always staring where you want to hit and letting the pin float.

It’s not a speedy process but curing this is not quick. And don’t let yourself get fatigued when doing this. Stay fresh so your form doesn’t break down. Sometimes less is definitely more.