View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I don't understand Merc's popularity. Great when they work but look out when they don't. My son pulled the bottom end off his merc due to not pumping water. What a pain to get back together & guess what. When you pull the bottom end off a merc it starts spitting out oil when tilted. I can replace my impeller on my Suzuki in 45 minutes. No Merc's here & never will be. I think the Etec was a nice engine. too bad.

My work boat has a 75 merc 4 stroke. It went 8-9 years without going in for any type of maintenance before it was assigned to me. Since then the only things I have had done to it are replace a thermostat last season, have regular end of season maintenance done (plugs, oil change, fuel filter, lower unit oil etc..) and one sensor that wouldn't let it rev over 2500RPM the first year it was assigned to me. Now I am not a boat guy by any means, but the one thing I know about boats is they cost a lot of money if they aren't properly maintained. I care to say not going into the shop for any kind of preventative maintenance after 8 or 9 years of use and having less than 1500$ of work done in the 3 years I've had it is pretty darn good.