View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 AM

I just went to a workshop about septic systems.
We were told (guy from AMA) that dead chicken/cat/fish doesn't work as well as septo-bac and all that stuff either.

Steps to do would be:
1.) get it pumped and checked. There should be 2 - 4 in of sludge on the bottom of the tank to be efficient. New tanks or tanks lacking sludge need a couple of years to build some.

2.) get your septic field checked. Dig and see how saturated the ground is. That might be a problem and there is not much they can do apart from redoing it or setting up a new one. Might be the water table being higher now than it was.

3.) check your usage vs system capacity. Older systems are too small for nowaday use. Especially with big bathtubs etc. (Hot tubs and pools should never drain into septic system.) If your demand i.e. amount of waste water is too much for the existing system, you would need to work on that. Equalizer tank, bigger tank, bigger field etc.

4.) check if your tank is still sealed. If rain water/snow can get it... not good. Reseal or replace.

That's what I learned :-)

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)