View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 PM

Smile Strathcona Whitetail Season 2017 UPDATE

It's on!
Been into my little haven about 4 times now. Have yet to not lay eyes on a deer. There have been more bucks than does.
My typical hunting threads happen after the shot so I thought it would be cool to document this season as it progresses.
I sat the other night and was busted by 5 antlerless deer at 35 yards. The wind was contrary and swirling so I was happy to have gotten in that tight.
Last night I had a half decent 5x4 come out on his own. I will not be picky with this tag at all (like usual) BTW. Came to 90 yards, this time with perfect wind, but had other plans for travel. Instead of hugging the treeline and working north, he went with the wind to the south. Oh well. I quietly slipped out as to not disturb his pattern.
Tonight, he came out with two buddies. I though at first it was mamma deer with her little ones. Binos confirmed it was ole 5x4 and 3 young friends. The small guy is like Elliot from "Open Season"- a one antlered wonder haha.
They came my way this time and disappeared in the bush at 80-90 yards. Come on boys! They walked parallel to my hay bale and didn't come back out.
Two little fellas, who came late to the party, decided that walking past my hay bale was a safe play. They guessed right. At 35 yards I drew on the first guy and he bolted ten yards into the bush at draw. The second little guy kept coming only to flee at my draw. Note to self: come to full draw before they come into sight- check....

I will keep documenting as I go. I'm sure that I know exactly where they are bedding and coming out at. I will be rolling that hay bale closer to the low part of the barb wire where they cross. That part seems constant so far and may be my ticket to folding a 248 tag!

Heading north for my wifes first ever deer hunt (finally got her course passed and PAL done). Kids are being babysat this weekend so time to fill some tags!

Pics below
w.w. out

Last edited by wildwoods; 11-02-2017 at 10:47 PM.