View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM

there are a lot of variables to sending them to auction... the fees and commisions you pay only seem like a small amount if you are getting average price or better, there is a flat commission %, tumbling fee and i believe there is a government royalty that you pay on every pelt. so if you are sending in substandard pelts (unprime, off colour, large holes or small) they will eat away your profits quickly.

a lot has to do with the colour or the pelts, the darker they are the less they will bring, even if your prep is perfect, i sold mine last year for 50 dollars a piece on average to a fur buyer. my prep could have been better (first year though) had 1 semi-heavy (worth about half the price of a heavy) and the colours were all dark. if i had perfect prep and pale colour ( which is what i am told is the prefered colour) i may have gotten average prices from auction or better. after commissions and fees i would have been looking around 60-65 dollars had i gotten average.

so maybe i took a little less than what an auction would have brought but i also had cash in hand at the end of the day.

i am hoping the price goes up this year, like everyone else, and by the looks of things they will. heres to hoping