View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Just for the record I am not arguing this point with you. I have no experience or practical knowledge of a silencer. I have a question though. If a suppressor changes the point of aim would that not have changed either muzzle velocity or range of the rifle? Possibly an insignificant amount whether positive or negative?
No, it changes the harmonics of the barrel.

For instance I used a cz452 .22lr a lot with one in Europe. The point of impact moved by about an inch at 50m, but the group size reduced by about 1/3rd.

As for helping poachers, I can't emphasise this enough, they do not make your centre fire rifle quiet, they just make it safer on your ears. And when hunting honestly how many shots do you fire? Because if it's only one shot, how is the volume a safety factor for other people in the woods? It's not like you are making repeated shots so they hear you and know to avoid the area.

I bet if they were legal, 95% of hunters would be using them within 3 years.

Modern designs are not really heavy or cumbersome, and if you trim the barrel down a little you can keep the overall length the same.

Or the manufacturers would just start supplying the supressor ready models, like the sako fin light in 308 which comes with a factory threaded 16" barrel.