View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
There won't be any coyote left in Alberta the week after suppressors get legal...
Well, I don't know about where you hunt, but where I hunt they run as soon as they hear a vehicle. This is because everybody around there carries a gun and if they see a coyote, they shoot him. So the coyotes there are well trained and a suppressor wouldn't make a bit of difference as you still have to get close enough to them to actually take a shot.......lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I have no issue with their use on ranges only.

For hunting...I feel that we have enough advantage over animals already and that loud bangs are a benefit from a safety perspective.

The fly in the ointment of course is that they would no doubt become very attractive to hoods and idiots... exposing us all to more bad press.
I agree 100% that they would be great to have at the range. I don't however see how having one on a hunting rifle would give a hunter an unfair advantage.

Let's say you're sitting in a blind and a deer you want to harvest walks into range. Your bullet is through him and gone before the sound ever makes it to him so where would the advantage be in that case?

If you drive around during the day looking for animals on a quad or in a truck, they'll hear your vehicle before you ever get out of it. So again, wher is the advantage to the hunter?

Yes, a loud bang can warn other folks that there's someone shooting in the area so I agree an unsuppressed rifle could be a safety factor.

I don't wear hearing protection in the field. So a suppressor in that sense would be helpful as it would save my already damaged hearing.

Not that I personally would want a suppressor on my hunting rifle while out in the field hunting. I wouldn't. I don't need the extra weight and length and in all honesty, the possible hearing damage from 1 or 2 shots isn't enough to matter.

As to the bad press aspect, well, that's why they're illegal now. Thanks to the BS in movies and TV and people's overactive imagination, the people that don't know any better think they make guns silent (ergo the incorrect term "silencer") and give criminals an advantage over cops. They do not in fact make guns silent (unless you're using subsonic rounds and then you can make your firearm almost completely silent....downside, your range is limited to a few feet or the bullet hits the ground before it hits the target........lol), but the same anti gun types don't care any more about the reality of a suppressor than they do about the reality that guns don't kill people.

FWIW, my brother is a LEO and a member of the tactical squad. He has taken sniper training and has a really, really, nice sniper rifle. He just informed me they now have suppressors on them. I can't wait to shoot it this summer and see how much it lowers the noise of a .308 I doubt it would be enough to allow me to remove my hearing protection under the roof over our shooting stands at the range. But it might allow you to do so out in the open. I guess we'll find out.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***