View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
His point was bows quiet so poachers could use them just like a silenced gun, if you read the whole thread his comment makes sense
I don't see how it makes sense.

Bows and Rifles are completely different tools and require completely different techniques to use.

I don't think you would find a poacher driving around with a loaded bow, taking shots out the window at targets three or four hundred yards away.

As it is now, when a bow would work, poachers absolutely do use bows. And when they do I'm pretty sure it's because bows are quiet.

I have zero experience with silencers but logic suggests that if they didn't make a substantial difference in the loudness of the gun shot, they wouldn't remain on the market very long.

Logic also suggests that any significant reduction in the rifle report would be of advantage to a poacher.

For me, the conundrum is, I don't believe we should have to give up a valuable tool just to keep it out of the hands of the law breakers.

And besides, such efforts are seldom effective.

Upon thinking about it, I suspect that if silencers were of significant benefit to a poacher, we would be hearing about a lot more silencers being found in the possession of the poachers that are caught.

Personally I have never heard of anyone being found in the possession of such a device, in this Provence, although I'm sure it must have happened at least once or twice. For certain any good machinist could produce a somewhat workable unit.

I am seriously beginning to think that those here who say that silencers would not be of much advantage to a poacher, are probably right.

On the other hand, I'm beginning to think they wouldn't be of much benefit to law abiding hunters either.

Like so many of these sort of issues, I have no interest in them but I have no objection to others wanting to use them.

George Bernard Shaw