View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 03:51 AM
Gone Hunting

Gun choice is such a personal thing. What works for me may be of no interest to you.

If it's increased range you are after, you won't get it. The cartridge has much more to do with terminal ballistics the the shotgun it's used in.

If you are looking to up your hit ratio again you are not likely to get it by upgrading. Better to down grade to a single shot in a smaller gauge if you want to up you hit average.

Going single shot and smaller forces one to pay more attention to aim which is what really matters when it comes to hit average.

A lot of shooters don't seem to understand that most shotguns have about the same range. The mighty 3 1/2" 12 guage has no more range then the diminutive 20 guage 2 3/4.

A couple of falls back I had the opportunity to hunt geese alongside three hunters using 3 1/2" 12 guage shotguns. All were experienced wing shooters.

I carry a 16 guage 190 KA Mossberg bolt action shotgun from the 1960s.
They were all hunting with recent made steel shot approved autos and pumps in 3 1/2 12 guage.

I bagged a few less Geese then they did, like about 8 to their 10. But at the same ranges as they did. There is no doubt in my mind that the difference was follow up shots.
My bolt action is just to slow to make a follow up shot.

I understand the desire to upgrade and if that's your main goal then go for it. There is no right or wrong in gun choices.

If however your goal is improving you hit average there are much better, much more effective ways to do that then upgrading.

Just my thoughts, I'm not about to call the cops if you choose a gun that's not right for what you want to achieve.

George Bernard Shaw