View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 02:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Changing shotguns can make a difference in your shooting, if the new gun fits you better. It can also cause you to miss more if the new gun doesn't fit as good. A smaller gauge , or a tighter choke can help you to see where you are shooting, but going to a single shot, doesn't in itself improve your shooting. If you are goose hunting with a gun that does not allow more than one shot, and you are shooting eight birds to your partners ten, then your partners are not shooting very good. A good shooter will average two or more geese per flock using a semi auto shotgun. If you want to improve your shooting, make sure your gun fits, then shoot skeet or sporting clays, and you will learn to shoot much quicker than you could ever learn shooting birds in the field.
Obviously you hunt a different area then I do. Here one bird per flock per hunter is the norm no matter what action the shooter is using.

Oh sure some times one does get a second shot, even I do with my bolt action, but no where near often.

And yes, going to a single shot in of itself does not improve one's shooting, but it does promote better aiming.

One thing I do agree with wholeheartedly, a better fit does help a lot.

However, few people know how to check for fit and fewer still understand how to adjust for it.

I must admit that even though I know how to check fit and how to adjust it, I never bother. I find I can hit with any shotgun if I aim well.

I suppose because I don't have access to skeet or sporting clays equipment nor does anyone I know.

Or maybe it's because I learned to wing shoot before such things were available in this area.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 09-25-2020 at 03:06 PM.