View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 04:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
I attempted to pattern mine a couple weeks ago. It does add merit as to where you hit in relation to the point of aim, which I think is a key learning. The one thing other than that was get me frustrated with basically every load I tried. (5 or 6 different loads) I then decided it was likely better info to ensure I could hit a moving clay with it, as it would better emulate an actual target I would be shooting at. After that it separated the wheat from the chaff as to what was a good hunting load, and what was not. To me both elements of that are important, and most people aren’t super pumped to shoot a few rounds of clays with 3” magnums.

I hear you.

I've patterned a few loads over the years but too often the guage I shoot is in short supply so I can't afford to use up what little I have.
Not on checking fit, pattern or practicing on clays.

Even 12 guage loads can be in short supply up here.

But it really doesn't matter for the shooting I do. When I find a load that works I stick with it whenever possible.

Like I said, my goal is a Goose in the roaster, not a ribbon on the mantel.
Not that there is anything wrong with wanting that ribbon, just that it's not my thing.

I would wager that the number one reason shooters miss with their shotgun is not fit or pattern, it's they didn't lead enough or lead too much.

I don't doubt that to get into the 90% plus hit range both fit and pattern become very important, but I reached 70% plus long before I even heard of either. And I suspect 70% plus is about average for most hunters.
It certainly seems so among the wing shooters I know.

One thing is sure, even 50% will put birds in the bag.

George Bernard Shaw