View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
My question for ducknut is what do you mean by a stepped rib and how will it differ in point of inpact from another shotgun.
Benelli puts a high rib on their guns because it 'looks cool' and looking cool is the main selling feature of anything with the Benelli logo on it.

This style of rib takes practice to learn how to shoot, and is drastically different than what you are used to in your old 870.

It does serve a purpose though, as is straightens your view of the target, reduces perceived recoil (and flinching) by forcing you to alter the way you hold the gun, and reduces lead on certain shots. I don't like them on a hunting gun, especially a waterfowl gun, but that's just my opinion. It doesn't suit me, and I doubt it suits 95% of everybody who buys a SBE or Nova.

That said, don't let it discourage you too much, just keep this in mind while you practice. If, on your first hunting trip, you miss as many shots you hit, DON'T blame your shotgun shells, then race to the nearest shop to buy faster 3.5" shells with larger shot. Missing and bad shooting is rarely caused by inadequate firepower.