View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
How big a bullet are you talking about? I load 450gr Montana & 465gr Cast Performance hard cast bullets and have never had a problem with cycling.
Being hard cast, they'd likely penetrate end to end although I've never had the need to shoot a big bear (thank God!). Lots of information on other forums about this though. People shooting up to 525gr Piledrivers without issues in 1895's also. The 1895 seems to be a choice for more than a few Alaskan guides too. I can imagine they're going into bear country loaded with short 250 - 350gr rounds.

Rifle is a JM 1895SS

All my other 1895's (CBA, SBL & GS) shoot 405 gr jacketed bullets without issues either.

Some bullets such as the ones you mention are designed with the Marlin in mind and they have the cannelure placed further ahead so the bullet can be seated deep enough to shorten the overall length. The downside to a forward cannelure is decreased powder space in the case. The upside to this is the popular belief that bullet weight trumps velocity for close in bear defense.
I can tell you from experience that 350 grain Hot Cor and 405 grain Remington bullets to name a couple are too long to cycle in the Marlin if crimped into the cannelure and these are the bullets that you will most likely find in your local store rather than specialty cast 525 grain Piledriver bullets.